Favorite Christmas tree?

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Sun Dec 13 19:25:26 EST 1998

I keep looking for posts to this ng for Christmas Trees, especially at this
time of year. Christmas trees have been harvested locally since the first of
November for shipment to distant areas. I got started in forestry through
Christmas tree production, plantation, and shaping. So are Christmas trees
still part of forest management in other parts of the country, or is no one
talking?

To get this discussion off the ground, how about sharing your favorite
Christmas tree. What was it that makes it special: shape, smell, density, the
family tradition of going out and selecting/cutting/decorating the tree?

Personally, I grew up raising Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). But I
_really_ prefer White fir (Abies concolor), Noble fir (Abies procera) and
Subalpine fir (Abies ???) for their aroma and shape. In generaly, the true
firs (Abies) have stouter limbs that can support more decorations and lights.
But I think the smell is what really sells it.

Are Christmas trees aroma therapy, or is it just me?

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com