Environmentally benign preservative for (English) oak?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Tue Dec 15 16:39:24 EST 1998

No advice here, looks like a problem waiting to happen, using green
poles.  A suggestion, however.  Come summer, when the leaves are full,
girdle the oaks your going to use, let the plant itself dry out the
poles.  Cut in the fall and use em.  You may have to pay a couple of
trips for the girdling to work.  Build your struture, and put loose
batten boards over the cracks, when the poles dry, caulk the openings.
Set them in place like the old log cabin builders and the poles will
settle upon one another and help close the cracks from weight and
gravity.

Lots of hard work in your future, good luck.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335

For Forestry Conversation, Information, or Questions:  The news groups
bionet.agroforestry
and alt.forestry are available.  http://forestry.miningco.com  is a
commercial site that is one of the best
sites  on the web for forestry information and offers a bulletin board
for questions/comments.