ATV/motorized travel

Susan112 susan112 at aol.com
Sat Dec 19 13:53:06 EST 1998

Don:

I don't have much experience with working with volunteer groups.  I appreciate
your pointers.

We did do many of the things you said, our problem was turnout.  The workdays
were well advertized by the local saddle club president and she got verbal
committments from lots of people.  We scheduled Saturdays and prepared work and
refreshments for the number she gave us but got too low a turnout to get much
done.  I think it was 6 people for one day which we went ahead and worked and
two for another which we cancelled because that wasn't enough for the tasks we
had. ( A third one was rained out.)

This was frustrating as you can imagine and has turned me off to using
volunteers for this type of work. As a public land manager I get to deal with
the bad side of human nature all the time.  Usually it's anonymous vandalism,
poaching, illegal root digging firewood theft etc. etc.  This was more face to
face and thus even more of a disappointment, especially after all the energy
and interest they showed in getting the trail in the first place.

Susan