Forests and increasing atmospheric CO2 concentration

KMorrisD kmorrisd at aol.com
Mon Dec 21 19:44:00 EST 1998

tbrooks at uswcl.ars.ag.gov ("Talbot Brooks") wrote:

>It has been well demonstrated that an increase in atmospheric CO2 =
>concentration will stimulate photosynthesis, and hence carbon gain, in =
>C3 plants (the vast majority of tree species fall into this catagory).  =

I read somewhere on a NASA site that temperate zone photosynthesis has been
increasing at about 1% per year for at least the past 10 years.  This was
deduced from satellite imagery.  That may or may not be good news because the
increased growth has to offset increased mortality due to increased storm
damages, insect and disease outbreaks, droughts, fires, tissue damage resulting
from severe thaw-freeze events, and various forms of air pollution--all
associated with burning fossil fuels and consequent climate change.

Now if only someone could figure out how to reduce the costs of those Bucky
Fuller geodesic domes, we could build some really big ones over all our
forests, let in the enriched CO2 air, shut out the weather and filter all the
bad stuff out of the air.  Maybe we should put some scientists to work on that
one right away. <G>

Karl Davies