forester licensing regs in Massachusetts

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Dec 25 12:11:08 EST 1998

I think the bottom line for me is that- at this time- most forest land
around here is not managed and there are a lot of qualified foresters
who would like to be doing just that.

It seems that nothing less than a miracle is going to solve this
situation. I've not proposed destroying landowner rights, and I've not
proposed forcing anyone to do anything. But there is a great deal of bad
logging, so there is a problem; but if most people, including the
forestry profession don't see this as a problem, then I guess there
isn't a problem, like the fact that our "leaders" don't feel that global
warming is an issue; until the ice caps melt.

I think there is a forestry problem, and I don't know the answer.
Throwing out various suggestions is an attempt to get a discussion going
to find an answer.

But too often, I hear such things as-
1. ya can't tamper with landowner rights
2. ya should stop picking on bureaucrats
3. high grading isn't so bad
4. you aren't trying hard enough
5. there is no forestry problem

Getting most forest land (outside of parks and wilderness areas) into a
more productive mode is in the long range interest of everyone- and the
ecosystem. It's a win-win situation, with no losers- but it doesn't
happen because of too much dunderhead resistance.