Re; Magnitude Ice Storm

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Tue Feb 3 05:57:12 EST 1998

In article <19980202061900.BAA00705 at ladder03.news.aol.com>,
forestfair at aol.com (ForestFair) wrote:
>    Dairy farmers lost cows when there was no power to milk
> them, and some of these farms are expected to go under.

I've never even heard of a dairy farm without adequate generator capacity
to run the milking machines.  That's like a dairy farm without a barn -
it is possible I suppose, but probably doesn't exist in the United States.

The big problem for dairy farmers is if the milk truck can't make it.
At that point, all you can do is dump the milk, and you don't get paid
for what goes down the gutter.  Ten days worth of dumping is more than
your net profit for the whole year, which means Joe Farmer gets to live
on nothing for the next 12 to 18 months.  He better have good credit
or he's out of business.  Most dairy farms don't have much in the way
of credit any more.

-- Larry