small mills

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Mon Feb 9 17:29:19 EST 1998

Don Staples wrote:

> alan haley wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever used or seen used a small chain or band saw mill process
> > trees on the site?  Are they effective and accurate?
>
> The wood mizer is anywhere from $16,000 up depending on type, engine,
> bells and whistles.  The NorthKing and some like it are running $6000
> and up, again depending on bells and whistles.  Both are capable of
> cutting veneer, although it will be a little roungh on both sides.  Wood
> recovery is about 1/4 to 1/3 more than on a circle saw.  Production
> claims of 1500 board feet a day are with experienced crew, many sharp
> band saw blades, and a clean set up.
>
> WoodMizer ships theres or you can go to (I think) Kansas City and
> trailer it back, NorthKing comes in a large crate and you put it
> together.

WoodMizer is located in Indianopolous, IN.  Their cadillac model runs about
$40,000.  There are probably at least 50 manufacturers of portable band
mills.  They all use the same basic technology, but some use wider bands,
which are more accurate and have more capacity.  Most have gone the 2" wide
route, and some run up to 7" bands.

For more information on bandmills on the web; check out www.woodweb.com   Lots
of good links.

RDW