Update: Mike in Georgia

gates gates at gates.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 00:36:19 EST 1998

In article <34D32EB2.73EF at bellsouth.net>, One of Those Robinsons
<robfarm at bellsouth.net> writes
>Well, I let the logging crew get started on a different tract last week,
>my  consultant said that he was more concerned with them working on
>sloping ground when it was too wet and possibly sliding into and
>damaging some of the seed trees and that he'd make sure they leveled out
>the ruts when its over, I talked to the head of the logging crew who
>promised the same thing so I let them go ahead and giveit  a try on a
>another tract thats all level ground. I've been walking back there a
>couple of times a day to watch them, the skidder is making some pretty
>deep ruts but the other equipment seems to be doing ok, I just hope the
>soil compaction will not be too bad. The area  they were working on
>last  week is being clear cut and I'm going to make pasture there, so
>I'm hoping if I plant some deep rooted legume forage there that may help
>to break up some of the compaction. Now they have moved back over to the
>more sloping ground, but its pretty dry right now. It's kind of
>distressing to see what a mess the place looks like after logging ,but
>damn it sure is fascinating to watch those big machines at work.
>Well, after we get some pasture going my wife plans to raise Shire
>horses(a draft breed) so I'm seriously considering training them for
>logging, then in the future I could harvest my own trees with low
>impact.
>Mike Robinson
Funny I just posted elsewhere on this group about felling plots with
horses and suggested Punch or cross Percheron.  What did the old timers
use?

The reason for this posting is simply to say get lorryloads of shell
grit from the coast.  A handful to a good square metre will get taken
down by worms (or plough) to break up soil wonderfully.  We have a big
cockle business nearby with whelks and so on too.  Your nearest source
may be oyster, clam or other shells but it doesn't matter ajot.  Buy
bits and crunch it up yourself for best price and have it tipped in each
area loose.  Do it after each area is done and do that with the wind so
folk in one area do not smell the heap in the next vacated area.  It
isn't bad and you get used to it for the weeks it lasts but nowhere near
the stink of blood and bone meal.  I wouldn't mind betting the shellfish
folk nearest you do not consider their shells a commodity and they may
get buried.  Worth a try anyay.  PS.  Oyster, etc. has mother of pearl
lining (nacre) which IS a separate commodity and used for buttons, etc.
but it would be wanted a lot at a time to be worth anything.  What you
get with shells will do no harm but of course you want whitest shell
shellfish you can get.  Smell you get is from hinges and bits of fish
left in shells.  It only helps the soil.  Beware of attracting wildlife
wanting salt lick, etc.  (Like bears).

Happy year of the tiger.
Les Ballard         Les at gates.demon.co.uk

c/o BM: Gates of Annwn       (The Pagan contact magazine)
London WC1N 3XX,  U.K.       44+(0)1708 863080

No copyright statement is attached as the author is litigious.