Is selective felling possible in BC's coastal forests?

Ross dianaros at ican.net
Mon Feb 9 22:42:48 EST 1998

I would offer some observations about helicopter recovery
operations. The helicopter operator is faced with similar
constraints as the logging contractor. Both must make sufficient
money to cover cost of operations.

However, the logging contractor can shave margins in a pinch
(when has there ever been a time when they aren't being
pinched?). The copter operator is faced with somewhat more
stringent constraints. If the contractor can not make sufficient
to cover  overhead (maintenance costs are extremely high) then
the copter contractor will be forced out of the game long before
the logging contractor has fulfilled their obligations. The
history of flight (and particularly rotary wing) is littered with
the remnants of failed operations.

To save any flames, yes, I do have many, many hours flight time
in bush operations. Copter operators working in logging opps have
to be subsidised or else they are in the game for the sheer hell
of it. When a turbine, gear case or blade assembly reach time
out, it must be overhauled. There is no real alternative except
to put lives and very expensive equipment at risk.

In my opinion, economics are a greater conservator than
environmental pressure groups.

Ross