fwd: wasteful junk mail

kat kats at prcn.org
Wed Feb 11 05:14:52 EST 1998

Scott McPhee wrote in message ...
>Fomes annotosum seems to grow only on conifers.

I believe you are referring to Annosus Root Rot (Heterobasidion annosum). It
not only infects conifers, but also madrone and manzanita. I have heard that
in California 1.4 million acres of Ponderosa and Jeffrey Pine and 600,00
acres of true fir in Northern California are infested.

Scott Mcphee

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote in message
<887046111.1076297732 at dejanews.com>...
>In article <newkirk-0802981224300001 at otto25.olywa.net>,
>  newkirk at olywa.net (Kirk Johnson) wrote:
>> --
>> Perpetual growth is the creed of the cancer cell  -Edward Abbey
>
>I have also heard that Fomes annotosum (Douglas fir root rot) is
>responsible for more old-growth forest death in the Pacific Northwest
>each year than clearcutting. However, Fomes annotosum grows best in
>former clearcuts. And, the only known way to control Fomes annotosum is
>to clearcut the affected area, and replant to deciduous trees

here in coastal bc, we deal with root rot (mainly phellinus weirii -
laminated root rot - and armillaria ostoyae) a bit differently.  Annosus is
not too big of a problem on the coast.   After the area is clearcut we
usually stump it then broadcast burn it.  And, if conditions are acceptable,
we plant a different species of conifer (usually wester red cedar).
Unfortunately, in the past this kind of treatment was not done, so we have a
younger version of the same problem in many stands.

Annosus pockets are a bit smaller and easier to deal with - the spread is
not nearly as bad as the above-mentioned rots.  Is it that much worse south
of the border?  *G*

kat