Forest Fires Caused by Aircraft

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Feb 12 11:02:54 EST 1998

Petzl wrote:

> Growing up in a Timber Town concern was/has been given that low flying
> aircraft could be a source of fires- I are wondering if any organisation has
> looked into this- I know that Vehicles are often banned from forests during
> fire season and then one sees some loon skimming the tree tops in a Prop
> plane? In Australia the forest actually emit oils in hot season giving a
> blue hue to the sky (really flammable)

Hummm, I am not familiar with any fires started by aircraft, except when
they fall out of the sky.  Our Blue Ridge Mountains and Smokies have
their name from "plant emissions", or so I have heard.  Would think the
concentration of such oils would be well below the flash point.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335