Forest Fires Caused by Aircraft

J. Fiske jfiske at lightlink.com
Fri Feb 13 07:11:26 EST 1998

I am familiar with this technique! They actually use ping - pong balls
filled with ethylene glycol and then inject potassium permanganate, using a
special machine, just as the little buggers go out the door of the
helicopter.

Tha machine is usually tied into the door frame with parachute cord, and the
operator always has a big sheath knife nearby. Reason? This project is a
little messy, and when the two ingredients are mixed, fire results. When
this happens inside a helicopter at 500 feet or so above the ground, things
get exciting in a hurry... you cut the p-cord and kick the machine out the
door ... quickly!

Like I said, it's a lot of fun! I sort of doubt that the local fire bugs
have the kind of money helicopter time takes (at least I hope so)! Maybe a
new type of environmental protest?