Forest Fires Caused by Aircraft

J. Fiske jfiske at
Fri Feb 13 07:11:26 EST 1998

I am familiar with this technique! They actually use ping - pong balls
filled with ethylene glycol and then inject potassium permanganate, using a
special machine, just as the little buggers go out the door of the

Tha machine is usually tied into the door frame with parachute cord, and the
operator always has a big sheath knife nearby. Reason? This project is a
little messy, and when the two ingredients are mixed, fire results. When
this happens inside a helicopter at 500 feet or so above the ground, things
get exciting in a hurry... you cut the p-cord and kick the machine out the
door ... quickly!

Like I said, it's a lot of fun! I sort of doubt that the local fire bugs
have the kind of money helicopter time takes (at least I hope so)! Maybe a
new type of environmental protest?