poplar trees, plotting their deaths

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Sat Feb 14 21:07:27 EST 1998

In article <34E4E4C3.66FD at somtel.com>, alan haley <ahaley at somtel.com> wrote:

> I have bought a woodlot that has a 10 acre section that was clear cut
> and grew back to poplar trees.  They are now 8 to 12 feet tall and there
> is not a lot of understory growth.  Some fir/spruce and birch mixed in.
> I do not want to grow the poplar but dont know how to stop them.  If I
> just cut them with brush saws, wont they grow back faster than the young
> spruce and fir can grow.  What should I do?

The easiest way to deal with unwanted hardwoods is slash and squirt.  Take
a hatchet and open up the bark to the cambium, then squirt Garlon into the
wound.  The tree will die, and the desirable trees will grow up past it.
For small trees like you describe, a single squirt will do it.  Large
trees may require two or three slashes.

Use concentrated Garlon just like it comes in the bottle.  A small 1 pint
squirt bottle will keep you working for a long time.  Don't forget to
wear rubber gloves and a mask.

If you want to cut the trees, you can mix Garlon with diesel and treat the
stump, but be careful.  Strange as it may seem, diesel is a lot more toxic
than Garlon, and will do a lot more damage to both the environment and you.

-- Larry