log scaling

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sat Feb 14 22:11:24 EST 1998

Dodd wrote:

> Alas too often the real problem is the grade.  A mill can
> give a "good" scale but call it all "pallet" quality.  The
> seller should compare $'s earned per load just as much as
> scale per load.
>
> Ron Wenrich wrote in message
> <34E5A5AD.60D6DA2 at lebmofo.com>...
> >

> >Ross wrote:
> >
> >> Many contractors have learned hard lessons about scale.
> Mill yard scale is
> >> what they are paid on. If you don't like the scale too
> bad!
> >>

> >If you don't like the scale, you go to a mill you can
> trust.  Its a running
> >battle between loggers and mills, to see who can screw the
> other.  I've seen
> >loggers hide defect by dragging logs through the mud.  I've
> seen mills skim
> >inches off a log or even "lose" logs in the yard.  The
> grade given logs on the
> >landing don't appear on the ticket.
> >
> >Loggers should scale their logs before delivery, although
> very few do.  The
> >business practices of independent loggers and sawmills
> leave a lot to be
> >desired.

Same story all over.  The logger screws the land owner, the mill screws
the logger, and the mill wonders why they have a constant change of
loggers, and don't get the grade of log they used to.  A lot of this has
changed in the south with the conversion to weight scaling rather than
stick scaling.  Of course, the logger still has the option to haul logs
as chip-n-saw or pulp wood, or claim to have, and pay accordingly.

I quote the loggers as the start of the bad trail, there are also
foresters guilty of greed, and shafting anyone on the way to the bank.

Methods of shafting by logger:  Use multiple mills, pay landowner from
only one.  Claim chip-n-saw or pulpwood only, pay accordingly.  Flat
steal the timber.  Quote low price per ton, or poor conversion if by
thousand.  Switch price in the middle of sale "the mill dropped the
price".

Methods of mill shafting logger:  same stunt with logs, chip-n-saw,
pulpwood.  Short weight on scale.  Conversion factors.  Low grading
logs.  Tree length, then merchandizing,but pay logger for pulp.

A lot can be cured by using a legitemate forester, consultant
hopefully.  But no sure cure there, either.  Forester could have deal
cut with logger or mill.  One mill here in Texas offers 1% of sales
value as finders fee to anyone bringing in a sale, so the forester holds
a bid, slides it to the mill, makes an addition 1%.

God I love my work!
--
Don Staples