log scaling

Larry Stamm larryst at vis.bc.ca
Sun Feb 15 12:08:33 EST 1998

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:40:02 -0800, "kat" <kats at prcn.org> wrote:

>hey guys
>
>just wondering if any of you have any log scaling knowledge - am taking a
>course right now and having a helluva time with the formula's and trying to
>memorize them?  any ideas for a quick memory game or something to simplify
>them?
>
>kat

I have a BC Interior scaling ticket.  Are you going for a coastal or interior
license?  The numerous coastal log grades with all their different criteria make
it much more difficult to learn at first.

I don't have any magic formulae to offer other than to practice, practice,
practice.  You have to know all the criteria well enough so that you don't have
to think about them in order to scale commercially.  Going to sawmills and
watching various logs get broken down to lumber will help in understanding why
the rules are as they are, especially for hemrot and cedar.  It will also help
you in judging the logs from the outside.  I always figure that if everybody is
mad at me for the way I scale a bunch of logs, then I've done a pretty good job
of scaling.

By the way, most of the people on this NG scale wood using some sort of Scribner
lumber recovery method and aren't used to scaling total volume.

Larry
--
Larry Stamm
larryst at vis.bc.ca