Question to the group, and Gerry.

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Mon Feb 16 10:49:34 EST 1998

Waddie Long wrote:

> My intersets are also multiple use and uneven aged management. I have
> been trying, with some success, to convert landowners in eastern
> Canada from large cuts resulting in even aged stands to selection
> cutting that will not only be better for our woodlots, over time, but
> also better for future generations that will  depend on our forests to
> make a living.
> Again, I think you are perfect for the job. You can help me right away
> by reading my post 'New Hardwood Industry' and giving any advise you
> can.
> Yours in forestry,
> waddie at atcon.com

I am not familiar with your exact problem in your area, but, it is
similar to the lack of a grade hard wood market in many areas that have
industrialized and moved to soft wood short rotation.  You can look to
the market of grade hardwood and make some very good arguments as to the
value of the existing stand for long term management.  You may also have
to look at the specific requirements of  the species you support in your
area, their specific requirements, and adjust you thinking to those
requirements.  For example, some hard woods, like soft woods, do best in
pure stands, so it may be beneficial to back off a little on not
clearcutting, and go towards a smaller clearcut to encourage
regeneration.  Shelter belt cuts may be an answer, perhaps the stands
need sanitation thinnings to improve stocking and species.  Go back to
basic silvics and hit the landowners with the facts.

First step, though, may be to set up a land owners association if that
does not allready exist.    Get the word out through Best Management
Practices (BMP's) and Stream Management Zones (SMZ's), buss words for
improved management of existing stands.  Get your logging industry on
board, it is to their interest to have a renewable resource that can be
depended on for their employment.

The argument about clearcut and unevenaged management can be won or lost
on species envolved.  Southern yellow pine is a fire sub-climax species
(I know, some of you young bucks out there have a "political correct"
revision of that term, get after it) that does best in pure stands,
i.e., clear cut.  Even the big woods on the west coast of both Canada
and the US tend to be in pure stands, that mix as site changes.

Finally, income from the land will kill many a long term project.  I
worked for 30 years on getting a 1000 acre tract into a good selective
rotation, where we were thinning every 5 to 7 years.  At the end of 30
years the family leadership changed, the new hand (a surveyor who knows
more about forestry than Paul Bunyan!) decided that he could manage with
out the cost of a forester, clear cut, and now has a brush patch that
wont be harvested again until they decide to replant and take another 30
years to get back on track.

Often the best plans of managers are killed for the least logical
rationale.

I may be able to comment further, or other members of this reading
group, with a better understanding of your problem.
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335