No Surprises and the Forest Owner...

Jostnix jostnix at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 08:53:42 EST 1998

To group:

The "no surprises" policy was a compromise between the Clinton Administration
and private landowners to agree on some type of mitigation of impacts on
habitat without killing the owner of the resource. The policy is now suspended
and my be replaced with much "stricter" guides (read my latest feature).

I haven't heard a single landowner complain about this moratorium nor have I
heard non-industrial forest owners praise the Babbitt compromise. Am I wrong or
is this not an important issue? Maybe this just effects large industrial
landowners.  Check forestry.miningco.com for a rundown.

Steve Nix

      )(
    ))}{((
``````) (___©______John Stephen Nix