poplar trees, plotting their deaths

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Wed Feb 18 16:50:30 EST 1998

In article <6ccl1o$m507 at malun1.mala.bc.ca>, "kat" <kats at prcn.org> wrote:

> i have never heard of (we call it "hack and squirt" here) killing more than
> one tree per treatment - i didn't know the chemicals traveled through the
> root system....

I've never heard of it with Garlon.  I have heard of it with Escort, which
takes a looong time to work, but functions in microscopic quantities.
Broadcast applications of Escort require between half an ounce and two
ounces per acre, and you won't see much result until the next year, when
everything dies.  Don't get excited about cheap here.  The stuff retails
for about $200/ounce.

> is garlon the same as vision? (glyphosate)

Nope.  Garlon is much more effective on woody plants that glyphosate, which
is marketed in the states as Round-Up.  If you're really interested, I
could go out to the shed and copy down the lengthy chemical name.

> i do know that some of the areas we have treated have killed conifers
> accidentally...

That's why slash and squirt is preferable to shotgun methods of stand
conversion.  You apply the herbicide directly to the plant you want to
kill, and nowhere else.  Even if broadcast application doesn't kill
conifers, unless they are completely dormant it will damage them, and
you have the problem of overspray and runoff.  With slash and squirt,
you can save the huckleberries.

-- Larry