Hurwitz, Pacific Lumber is cutting Headwaters

Kirk Johnson newkirk at olywa.net
Thu Feb 19 17:07:33 EST 1998

In article <19980218011300.UAA02202 at ladder03.news.aol.com>,
phadruig at aol.com (PHADRUIG) wrote:

> larryc at teleport.com (Larry Caldwell) writes:
> >Headwaters is really being cut down by little old ladies in San Francisco
> >who want redwood planters for their posies, or suburbanites who want
> >redwood edging for their flower beds and redwood decks for a patio, or
> >redwood trim on their hot tub.

> Larry,
>
> You did an excellent job of explaining the situation, and I would like to
> comment that ironically, it is those same "little old ladies" and suburbanites
> that faithfully send in their donations to the "whatever" environmental
> organization to fund opposition to logging the very forests that are supplying
> their hearts desires.

Make no mistake, Headwaters is being liquidated by a greed-head s.o.b.
named Charles Hurwitz. Further, when people are educated as to the source
of these products (and much to the chagrin of industry who would like to
keep certain things under their hat), they understand why they shouldn't
buy them:

RAN'S OLD GROWTH REDWOOD BOYCOTT CAMPAIGN IS ONE YEAR OLD!!!!

In February of 1997 BACH, Greenpeace, Sierra Club and Rainforest Action
Network joined forces to launch a boycott campaign aimed at protecting the
Headwaters Forest and other unprotected stands of old growth redwood.  The
goal was to eliminate the market for lumber and other products made out of
these national treasures.

To date over 14,000 individuals, 1000 building professionals, and 1000
lumberyards and do-it-yourself stores have pledged not to buy or sell old
growth redwood. Thanks to everyone who has participated in this work up
until now!!!! A heartfelt thanks to Michael Passoff, long time BACH
organizer and RAN's former Redwood Campaign Director, Green Corps, and all
the activists and  volunteers for their
hard work.

We have a lot to celebrate!

Originally, the campaign was expected to last six months, with a media
blitz and effective grassroots organizing.  We reached out to contractors,
architects, interior designers and other building professionals,
lumberyards, national home improvement chains and concerned citizens alike
and asking them to take the Redwood Pledge -- "I pledge to protect our last
ancient redwood forests by not buying old-growth redwood products.  I will
encourage others to do the same."

In the coming months the Redwood campaign will be a cornerstone of a RAN's
latest campaign initiative at RAN to protect all old growth forests.  The
goal is to eliminate the consumption of all old growth products derived
from the industrial logging of the planet's remaining primary/old growth
forests.  The campaign galvanizes the public's existing feeling that
cutting old growth forests to turn them into 2x4's and pulp is simply
unethical and that a mature, modern society has outgrown such practices.

RAN's old growth strategy was born in response to the bittersweet victories
many forest activists experience campaiging to protect a specific species,
valley or watershed.  Often one area or species of old growth is spared at
the expense of another, while overconsumption and inefficency go unchecked.
Our challenge is to win our local struggles through campaigns that also
support similar efforts around the world.  A key to this is in framing the
message.  Only 22% of the world's old growth forests are still intact, and
we contend that it is morally and ethically wrong to destroy any of these
forests. Placing the specific location or "hot spot" within a larger
context can both promote the importance of protecting that spot and bring
public attention to the issues facing old growth forests worldwide.  So as
people learn the specifics about intact areas of the Amazon rainforest, the
Great Bear Rainforest of British Columbia, the threatened forests of
Africa, the redwoods of California's Headwaters forest they also recognize
the unique qualities that these places all have in common.

By focusing on the destruction of old growth forests, especially entry into
previously intact areas, one the most eggregious acts of industrial logging
companies worldwide, we can capture the attention of corporations and
individual consumers and spotlight the messages of RAN's wood reduction
program, and come that much closer to 75% wood use reduction over the next
decade.

Recognizing their power to move this issue, a number of Bay Area building
professionals have become a new grassroots constituency working on the
campaign.  Slide shows, outreach mailings and local forums will provide
venues for them to discuss the issues with their peers, and work to
transform their industry.

Thanks to the incredible support for the Redwood boycott campaign, the work
will continue in 1998.  Media and advertising grabs and grassroots outreach
will continue, and the number of people making the commitment not to use
old growth products will continue to rise.  In addition, RAN will focus in
on a limited number of key targets to insure that Pacific Lumber/MAXXAM
will really feel the heat, and that the boycott will significantly impact
their bottom line.  At least two of the targets will be Bay Area holdouts,
and to effect change we need your help.

In the coming months, as we hone in on Pacific Lumber's top customers, the
goal is to get at least five of these companies (retailers and distributors
of old growth redwood) to take the Redwood Pledge. We will expand our
grassroots organizing efforts to include key constituencies who are in
positions to help this happen quickly.  The plan is to gain the support of
those whose voices can most successfully carry the message to these
companies.  You can play a critical role, and if you are interested in
participating, here are a few things you can do:

1)  Make contact with building professionals in your area (architects,
contractors, landscape architects, etc.)  and enlist them to join you in
the efforts to protect the world's last remaining old growth redwoods.
Assist them in mobilizing their peer groups, and support them in visits to
the top customers in your area

2)  Consider working to get a resolution or ordinance passed in your local
city or county prohibiting the use of ALL old growth products.  The City of
Los Angeles, CA and the County of San Francisco are in the process of
implementing such policies, and your municipality could be next!  These
purchasing policies will help send a strong message to lumber companies and
retailers alike.

For more information please contact:  Celia Alario  RAN - Phone:
415-398-4404 x315  Fax:  415-398-2732  email:  headwaters at ran.org
www.ran.org

--
Perpetual growth is the creed of the cancer cell  -Edward Abbey