Tree thinning for restoration

J. Fiske jfiske at lightlink.com
Mon Feb 23 22:00:31 EST 1998

I've used this method as a "school" exercise, but never in the real world (at least
not to locate trees. Used to do this for "as built" surveys for roads and telephone /
electric lines when I first got out of school (just dated myself didn't I?) ...

The real question, in my mind, is how are you going to keep the Black Locust down
after you cut it? Herabouts (upstate New York) the stuff is about the most vigorous
sprouter (both stumps and roots) we've got. I've seen one year sprouts which were
over six feet tall, on good sites. What ever you plant in the opening you create had
better be at least as aggressive to have any chance of success!

Please let us know how it goes!