Tree thinning for restoration

Michael Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Mon Feb 23 22:16:12 EST 1998

There used to be a gadget called a "ready mapper" or somesuch which was
about the same as a plane table, except smaller. It was about the size
of a dinner plate and let you draw scaled maps on the spot after you
oriented it.

For a riparian thinning application how about one of those convex
mirrors. Densiometers, I think? They work fairly well at evaluating
crown closure.  One kind (concave?) doesn't get your head in the picture
as much.