Hurwitz, Pacific Lumber is cutting Headwaters

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Feb 27 04:55:48 EST 1998

PHADRUIG wrote:

> In article <newkirk-1902981407340001 at lisa5.olywa.net>, newkirk at olywa.net (Kirk
> Johnson) writes:
>
> >Make no mistake, Headwaters is being liquidated by a greed-head s.o.b.
> >named Charles Hurwitz.
> ---------------------------------------
> Has anyone ever stopped to think about the motivation for such liquidation of
> private timber resources?   Of course, many will answer:  "Greed!"   And since
> some people find this synonymous with capitalism itself, it seems useless to
> try to convince them otherwise.
>
> But consider then, why some of the "greedy" choose to manage their timberlands
> for continuous production while others choose to cut all merchantable timber
> off and then sell the lands.  I suppose to that, many would answer:
> "Ignorance!"

It's the new breed of international capitalism- now that our federal
government and technology has made it easier than ever to move money
around the world looking for that extra hundreth of a percent of profit.
Easier money to be made just disinvesting entire industries and putting
the cash in the stock market.

> Beginning around the turn of the century a number of enterprising western
> lumbermen acquired relatively large areas of timberland holdings.  They then
> set out to apply forest management principles to these properties so that they
> would produce a steady and relatively even supply of logs to their sawmills,
> greatly reducing their dependence on outside sources.
>
> Their managment plans not only specified a regulated cut, but replanting &
> thinnning, and sometimes even pruning, and fertilization.  They even
> established nurseries in which to grow their own seedlings for replanting and
> research facilities to investigate and prove other possibilities.  All this
> indicating, it seems, a high degree of seriousness in the longevity of the
> enterprise.
>
> In the last decade, or so, we have seen an abrupt shift away from this
> intensive forest management and a trend towards liquidation of the resource.
> This is noted not only of large industrial forests but even small
> non-industrial private holdings.  The trend seems to have shifted back to the
> old "cut and get out" tactics of an earlier day.  The incentive to hold
> timberland for long term management and progressive income seems to have
> regressed - at least in the west.
>
> Assuming that most landowners/managers are not fools, but characteristically
> "know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em", in other words, are rational
> entrepreneurs (even Hurwitz), what factors caused, and are causing, them to
> "cash in their chips" and get out of the game?   What affect does this have on
> our national well being?  Has environmentalism played a roll in this?
> Politics?

International stateless capitalism now rules the world; the politicians
are now bought and owned by them. It's an illusion that nations even
exist. With free trade and the massive accumulation of wealth now that
taxes have been lowered so much, political power is now in the hands of
these plutocrats. What's happening in the forest industry is happening
in all industries.

--
-------
http://forestmeister.com