Woodland Owner Corner

ForestFair forestfair at aol.com
Sat Jan 3 21:03:25 EST 1998

 HUN60 at webtv.net (Timothy Hunley) suggested:

>I am a woodland owner and tree farmer in Northeastern Ohio and would
>like to see a "Woodland Owner Corner" or something similar set up on a
>separate site.

Tim,

   I'm also a woodland owner, but I've gained a lot from discussion *in* this
group with others who are are wearing other hats, like agency or consulting
forester.   Unless the volume of posts in this newsgroup, increases
significantly, I think there's room for our discussions here (right,
"regulars?" <g>).  No one has made me feel unwelcome, and when we've asked
basic questions, the pros and more-experienced landowners have  responded
graciously.

  I think some of the questions landowners have asked have stimulated further
discussion among the foresters, too, and if we didn't contribute sometimes,
there might be only 3 foresters and a truffleholic posting <g>.  And they might
get tired talking to each other.

  I also think we possess information and experience that can help those who
are practicing foresters.  For example, many of the consultants have expressed
frustration at the difficulty they have in reaching landowners.  I've been
involved in a number of activities that have led to those connections.

   Another concern of mine is educating the voting (and sometimes tree-hugging)
public, since they can influence the legislators that can affect my right to
practice good  forestry; many foresters that I know are also concerned about
this.  I think our common thread is a deep affection for the forest, and a
committment to good forest stewardship, not our professional roles or landowner
roles.

> This area would permit landowners to permanently post
>detailed descriptions of their own lands and what forestry desires and
>designs they have

  I think if I wanted to do this, I'd learn how to do a web page and use that
medium.  The fact is that (at least in NYS), the typical non-industrial private
landowner is middle-aged or older and if they have a computer, they usually are
not online.  I've talked a few of them into e-mail (Juno free e-mail) and
joining  an extension listserv, but at the last state board meeting of our
state landowners' group, only a very few directors had ever seen our own
organization's website!

   If you get a discussion going someplace else, I'd probably join you, but
unless I'm told that my participation here is unwelcome, I'd just as soon stay
here for now.   I have a tough hide when it comes to newsgroups, gained as a
2+-year rec.food.cooking newsgroup participant (now there's a group that makes
a novice feel unwelcome!)

  If there are landowners that have been bashful about public posting, I would
hope that they would contact us by e-mail.  I certainly don't know all the
answers, but I'm very good at finding out who does.

   Tim, I'd be interested in finding out if you have an active state landowners
organization, and what kinds of programs and activities it sponsors?

ForestFair at aol.com