Importance of Mycorrhizae in Forestry

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Sat Jan 3 23:01:28 EST 1998

In article <Mh3+xOAt8Ur0EwyA at gates.demon.co.uk>,
  beth <gates at gates.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <883595071.1178927105 at dejanews.com>, dwheeler at teleport.com
> writes
> >>

> >I'm glad to hear it. You might try finding a copy of Russell Smith's Tree
> >Crops. You and I are apparently not the only one's who have been dreaming
> >about this. Russell evidently thought about it for quite a while. He
> >suggests planting an acre of chestnuts is more productive than planting
> >an acre of corn, based solely on the food value derived. He also suggests
> >the wide-row spacing of trees to allow co-cropping of vegetables, herbs,
> >and even other tree species.
>
> >And the book is only 50 years old...     ******************************
> *
> >
> The guy who taught me some bits did tell me about trees being under used
> as a growing medium but, to be honest, I never thought of truffles.  I
> had chantrelle fungi in mind sure, but you're a bit of a fresh breeze on
> this point.  I did however tell some local bods. about truffles some
> months ago.

[snip]

You might want to check out Eric Danell's cultivation of Cantharellus
cibarius with pine seedlings. He is scheduled to speak at a conference on
mycorrhizae either this year or next. He has successfully fruited
chanterelles on seedling pines in greenhouse conditions.

Eric has had no luck so far with cultivation of our native Cantharellus
formosus or C. aurora-borealis.

Several years ago on an experiment, I buried 1/2 x 1/2 square pieces of
chanterelles and buried them near older Douglas fir at a farm I was also
attempting to grow truffles at. The chanterelles fruited the next year,
but there were only three. The land owner had to remove about 3 acres of
trees due to a root-rot fungus, and evidently the chanterelles didn't
like the sudden increase in sunlight. They have never returned. Several
attempts at growing chanterelles in the same way near younger trees (+/-
20 years old) have been unsuccessful so far.

However, the truffle experiment worked well! Will have a joint Oregon
Mycologial Society/North American Truffling Society forage to the site
next month (February).

On January 3, 1995 about 50 members of both societies visited the tree
farm. Even people who had never seen a truffle before found at least a
pound of truffles in 45 minutes. Some people took out 3 pounds. I think
most of them were fairly happy. ;)

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com