loblolly planting

MMEMU mmemu at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 23:45:27 EST 1998

Is the loblolly pine hardy as far north as Bowling Green Ky on an exposed
planting site (windy hill top).  It can also get -20  for a day a two every
winter. The site has some top soil with rock and heavy clay subsoil. Would the
white pine or short leaf pine work better?  How about the virginia pine?  Which
one grows fastest?  Are any of these trees capable of growing in a mixed
planting of other pines.  My main objective is to establish wildlife cover on
30 acreas of worn out farm land where I live. Any sugestions would be helpful.