Nature knows best and we are part of it!

jimi jimi_hendrix at NOTanEMAILaddress.com
Mon Jan 5 11:39:06 EST 1998

Jostnix wrote:

> Karl F. Wenger, in a commentary in the January Journal of Forestry, indicates
> that "Nature knows nothing...Nature is deaf, dumb, blind, and unconscious."  He
> goes on to say that nature has a destructive potential as well as a benificial
> potential.  You basically cannot depend on nature for sound forest or
> environmental management.
>
> The ancient Mosaic idea that man is the caretaker of all the earth, has
> dominion over all the earth, is the wise denominator, and Gifford Pinchot's
> idea that science is the answer to all problems comes out strong here.
>
> Wenger suggests that a Nature controlled is a perfect Nature.  Man's
> intervention is the preferred way Mother Nature should be managed. "Clearly,
> the people's needs are satisfied much more abundantly by managed than unmanaged
> forests."
>
> Why do we need organizations trying to control the forest resource? What is you
> take on this...
>
> Steve Nix
>
>       )(
>     ))}{((
>   ))))}{((((
> ))))))}{((((((
> ``````) (___©______John Stephen Nix
> "Everybodys ignorant 'cept on different things"  Will Rogers
> Alabama Forestry Link...http://members.aol.com/jostnix/index.htm
> http://forestry.miningco.com

Yes and No.

Hello again everybody, its been a while.

"mutha nature" has a whole bunch of great systems out there, but can
also be oh-so cruel at times.  Take for instance compensating for an
overpopulation of deer: mass starvation, disease, and finally
"abnormally" low numbers of deer until the tree seedlings (browse) can
recover.  A balance nontheless.

Of course, an argument exists that homo sapien contributed to
over-population problem in the first place ("deer management" programs,
preditor elimination, blah, blah, blah) but isn't it better to allow
humans to assist mother nature by picking up the slack of the diminished
preditors and YES, KILLING some deer.  After all, we do have canines and
incisors in our mouths and our eyes that point forward, etc.  Killing a
bunch of deer during the hunting season, means the remaining herd can
compete less for the existing vegitation and over-all the herd remains
healthy.  Clearcutting small sections and "diversifying" the species and
age groups of trees also protects against major disaster that large
monocultures (climax forests) are indeed susceptible to.

Its silly to view the world as natural without human presence and us as
being foreign to nature's (God's) design.  Beavers also significantly
alter the environment; is it natural, or are they like humans inherently
evil?  It is also stupid to think that humans need to CONQUER nature;
this view also separates us from nature.  Like it or not, we are part of
it.

In summary, NATURE KNOWS BEST AND HUMANS ARE PART OF IT.  If we screw up
Nature, although perhaps cruelly, will figure out a way to compensate.

Regards.