Coastal Forestry Issues

Mike Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Sat Jan 3 13:37:32 EST 1998

sitka at citytel.net wrote:

> Good afternoon.
>
> I'm a professional forester working up here in the coastal region of
> north-west British Columbia and have been trying to locate a forestry
> discussion group or page on the net with a relevant coastal bent but have
> yet to have any success.  I'd like to think I'm in touch with forestry
> issues and developments here at home in BC however I rarely get the
> chance to meet with my peers in Alaska or south in Washington/Oregon on
> cross-border issues such as biodiversity, land use pressures/solutions or
> log/chip markets (we just had a recent barge load of cedar pulp chips
> towed through the harbour on Christmas day destined for our local pulp
> mill - imported from Alaska much to the ire of our local loggers who have
> been flat on their backs for several years running due to poor market
> conditions). If there are any of you out there I'd be happy to hear from
> you.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Shawn Hedges, RPF

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Hello Shawn,
I'm close to Port Angeles, WA which can't be much more of a coastal area
since we're bounded by saltwater on three sides. Coastal forestry issues
cover a lot of ground: that's all there is here. The export market which
is the major log buyer here is down for the time being. The local mills
have no where near the capacity to handle the area's wood stream so a
large new mill is going up. (old Crown Z lands, new owners) They had
actually gotten started on construction before the market crash, which I
wondered was either pure luck or a savvy observation of the Asian
economies. Regarding that barge of chips; you're not the only one. The
local K-Ply veneer mill (that's Klukwan, same as Alaska) has gotten its
cedar from Alaska since it moved here in the early 80s. Now this makes
sense for the Alaskans but has definite odd effects at this end. The
west end of the county, a one hour truck haul away, was a major source
of OG western red cedar in the US and supported a booming cedar shake
and salvage industry. When times got tough and the results of 50 years
of overcutting were showing, cedar sales were cut drastically. To get
the wood, shake mills worked sales as far off as Oregon and Idaho. Then
K-Ply began filling out their barges with longbutts and odd bits of
alaskan cedar, just for dunnage. These got snapped up by the shake mills
and resulted in the bizarre sight of salt soaked cedar being hauled from
the Port the "wrong way" back toward Forks. It still takes some getting
used to.
 Mike H.