State Agencies

Jostnix jostnix at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 13:29:07 EST 1998

In article <34B2500A.73A9 at livingston.net>, Don Staples
<dstaples at livingston.net> writes:

Missouri Conservation Commission gets .7% of the state budget,
>some
$122,521,232.00 in 1996-97 fiscal year.  Of this the main source is
>Conservation Sales Tax that brought in 61.5%.

DON! You have got to be kidding me on this! The Missouri Conservation
Commission has a One Hundred and Twenty Three million dollar budget!  Let me do
some figurin'.

Missouri has 14 million acres of forest (USFS stat).  That equates to an annual
expenditure of approximately $8.79 per forested acre for forestry conservation.
Jeepers!  I guess they do have a great program if this is indeed a fact.

Alabama has some 22 million acres of forest with a 1996 annual Forestry
Commission budget of $22.1mm (AFC Annual Report).  That equates to about a
dollar spent per acre on forestry and fire protection....even if you add an
additional $65mm for the Department of Conservation (much of this paid for by
hunting licenses, oil and gas windfall, state parks) you would be spending only
FOUR BUCKS PER ACRE in Alabama.

When you put this on a percentage of the State General Fund ($885mm), which
does not include education, you have only .1% of that fund being spent by the
major state conservation organizations.  The Alabama Forestry Commission only
spends only .02% of that fund.

Obviously, I'm stunned...

Steve Nix, Alabama Registered Forester #745

      )(
    ))}{((
``````) (___©______John Stephen Nix
http://forestry.miningco.com