Truffle & Mycorrhizae quotes/sources

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Tue Jan 6 01:21:30 EST 1998

The following quotes and citations are extracted from Mushroom, the
Journal, and is meant as a resource for further reading in regards to
truffles and mycorrhizae. All truffles are presumed mycorrhizal fungi.

"The time may be coming when we will use our forests to grow mushrooms
and truffles. At crop rotation time, the tree will be a by-product."
Menser, Gary "It's prounounced my'ko'ri'ze," Mushroom the Journal.
Spring, 1988, p 14.

"The sizeable conifer growth in managed forest stands inspires great
admiration, yet the activities of mycorrhizal fungi upon which this
forest growth depends are largely unrecognized." Amaranthus, Mike "The
Fir and the Filament," Mushroom the Journal. Spring 1988, p 11.

"If a plant needs even more reserve energy, it can die if there is not a
mycorrhizal relationship." Menser, Gary "It's pronounced my'ko'ri'ze",
Mushroom the Journal. Spring 1988, p 13.

"Several miles of fungal filaments can be present in less than a
thimbleful of forest soil." Amaranthus, Mike "The Fir and the Filament,"
Mushroom the Journal. Spring 1988, p 10.

"Tree - 1. Large sedentary perrenail food source. 2. Truffle indicator."
"A Glossary of Obscure Mycology," Mushroom, the Journal. Spring 1994, p
26.

"Chris Maser noted in 'The Redefined Forest' that forestry as currently
defined too often ignores or excludes fungi." Wheeler, Dan "Toward's
Mycostry," Mushroom the Journal. Spring 1994, p 5

'"In my estimation, I find them them the equal of European truffles,
particularly the black truffle of Perigord. The very best of all truffles
is probably still the white truffle from Italy, but the Oregon truffles
certainly are not very far behind."' Jack Czarnecki, quoted by Jim Boyd
in "Truffles Come from Different Continents," Mushroom the Journal.
Summer 1995, p 19

'"Actually, we're not selling (European white) truffles this year,
because the wholesale price of truffles is $1,400 a pound," Corti said.
"At more than $100 an ounce (retail), it seems obscene." Darrell Corti,
quoted by Jim Boyd in "Truffles Come from Different Continents," Mushroom
the Journal. Summer 1995, p 19

"The author speaks of inoculation of the Oregon White truffle...But my
examination of roots of inoculated seedlings showed no truffle
mycorrhizae,..." Trappe, Jim "More than instructions for cultivation."
Mushroom the Journal. Spring 1994, p 19

"And canned truffles, unfortunately, do not retain much of the celebrated
perfume-of-the-earth." Rogers, Maggie "Keeping Up," Mushroom the Journal.
Spring 1989, p 35

"True truffles have been found from the west coast to the east coast, but
not in Arkansas, as far as we know." "You can train your very own tuber
hound," Mushroom the Journal. Spring, 1989 p 11

"A healthy Douglas-fir has 30 to 40 spoecies of these [mycorrhizal] fungi
attached to its root system at all times." Maser, Chris "Ancient Forest,
Priceless Treasures." Mushroom the Journal. Fall 1988, p 11

"...there is reason to believe that frozen truffles may be more flavorful
than fresh ones,..." Walters, Anthony B. Letter to the Editor. Mushroom
the Journal. Summer 1985, p 44

"In my estimation, the Oregon white truffle at the peak of its ripeness
rivals the Italian white and Perigord truffles as a culinary delight."
Trappe, Jim "Are commercial rakers killing our truffles?" Mushroom the
Journal. Spring 1989, p 10

"Menser, the principal organizer of the tour, is a truffle entrepreneur
who has 5,000 young trrees on his Oregon hillside property inoculated
with either European truffle growth (Tuber melanosporum) or the native
Oregon truffle (Tuber gibbosum)." Barnhart, Harley E. "Truffling Along."
Mushroom the Journal. Summer 1985, p 9

"If such foresight is not your style of cooking, just grate a little
truffle into the warm roasting pan juices at serving time. The au jus
will become awe juice." Stickney, Lawrence M. "This could be a special
Christmas for a special friend." Mushroom the Journal. Winter 1990-91, p
9

"Jim [Trappe] easily identified them as Rhizopogon vulgaris...All who
savored a first taste quickly scooped up second helpings." Trappe, John
E. "Sauteed truffles in the Sawtooth Ridge area." Mushroom the Journal.
Fall 1988, p 21

"I think it unfair and unwise to compare T. gibbosum to T. melanosporum
or any other truffles. An American truffle may have a kerosene odor
fresh, an intense morel odor after freezing, and taste mildly nutty after
cooking. Or it could have an earthy odor fresh, smell intensely of
fermented fruit after freezing, yet taste of cornmeal after [being]
cooked." Wheeler, Dan  Letter to the Editor. Mushroom the Journal. Fall
1985, p 46

"He was known for his dream of someday harvesting European truffles from
inoculated fir and filberts on plantations in Oregon." Rogers, Maggie
"Gary Menser: Truffle promoter and author of Magic Mushroom Handbook."
Mushroom the Journal. Spring 1994, p 35

"The North Carolina filbert plantings took 13 years to produce; the New
Zealand oak and filbert plantings yielded their first truffles in only 5
years." Barnhart, Harley "You can read about truffles in English."
Mushroom the Journal. Summer 1995, p 24

"In the Pacific Northwest, it's the small squirrels - the chickaree of
western Oregon and Washington and the red squirrel of eastern Oregon and
Washington slopes - and other animals, such as shrews, that sniff out the
truffles." Maser, Chris "Ancient Forests, Priceless Treasures." Mushroom
the Journal. Fall 1988, p 11

posted by Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com