Northeastern Forest -- Sugar Maple Question

ForestFair forestfair at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 21:02:45 EST 1998

I'd like to hear from some Northeastern foresters about the possible cause(s)
of darker sugar maple timber?  As our harvest progresses we're finding that the
sugar maple is darker inside than the loggers expected, and the prices they'll
be able to get for it will be somewhat lower than they'd hoped.

My guess was minerals in the soil, although I have no idea exactly how that
would produce darker wood.  A forester/friend who knows something of the
history of the area suggested that soil compaction and intensive grazing by
sheep in the 1800's is involved.

ForestFair