Northeastern Forest -- Sugar Maple Question

Mike Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Thu Jan 8 12:13:43 EST 1998

Just out of curiosity, about how old are these trees? Is this is merely
an appearance defect or doe it have effect on usability? Is there a
fungal association?
Out here off color is a defect for music wood (OG sitka spruce or
maple). It is nearly always a sign of incipient rot which becomes more
visible as the wood ages.