Clearcutting.

PHADRUIG phadruig at aol.com
Sat Jan 10 02:50:03 EST 1998

In article <HjAq00O5I4dS091yn at teleport.com>, larryc at teleport.com (Larry
Caldwell) writes:

>In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.971212182000.28311A-100000 at sol>,
"B. J. Nodello"
><v7re at unb.ca> wrote:

> I worked in clearcuts all summer and I saw a lot of
>evidence of animal
> activity.  I was lucky enough to see several deer and
>rabbit, and unlucky
> enough to run into several bear.  These blocks were
>covered in tracks and
> debris from deer, rabbit, moose, and bear.

None of
>the animal sign you saw was from forest species.  Large animals
will move
>into timber for shelter from bad weather, rabbits won't even do
that.

If
>you want to know how clearcuts affect forest species, go into a forest
and
>inventory the wildlife.  Cut the forest down, then come back and
inventory
>the wildlife again.

-- Larry

Larry, I'm sure you are correct that some if not most forest wildlife move out
of a clearcut when all the trees are cut, and certainly all who do not run, are
burned when the clearcut is torched, but isn't it logical that the survivors
only retreat to the adjacent uncut areas and survive there only to re-inhabit
the clearcut areas as they are rejuvinated and become compatable?  Wouldn't the
successional stages be much the same as after the natural wildfires - which
have repeatedly burned millions of acres over the eons and were in fact
responsible for the millions of acres of even aged forests that covered America
when the Europeans came?

Regards,
Seumas Mac Phadruig
Industrial Forest Opns. Mgr. (Ret.)