Does Nature Know Best?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Sat Jan 10 21:52:17 EST 1998

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

> > We foresters not providing cultivated mycorrhizal fungi must account for
> > the desertifaction of the south east, north east, mid-north, etc.  I see
> > no reason to try to grow or "provide"  that which is so abundant in
> > nature, i.e., mycorrhizal fungi.  I can see where propagation in sterile
> > soils in a green house may not provide the necessary fungi, but they
> > will be in the soils when planted, unless totally off site (arctic?)
>
> Not "provide"ing  mycorrhizal results in desertification. So how many
> species of mycorrhizae have you cultivated?

As many as were there when I started managing the land.  Cultivation can
include doing nothing.

> If your thesis were true, there would be no deserts today. Unfortunately,
> the history of mankind has proven otherwise. The deserts of the world
> continue to + increase+, not decrease. Many mycorrhizal fungi die upon
> direct exposure to ultraviolet light, according to Dr. William Dennison,
> past president of the Oregon Small Woodlands Association. Perhaps the
> fastest way to kill most of these mycorrhizal fungi is to clearcut. In
> Oregon at least, clearcutting also results in large amounts of dead woody
> debris. This material is ideal for growing several species of root-rot
> fungi. The main difference between forestry east of the Mississippi for
> forestry west of the Cascade Mountains is the number and size of
> evergreens per acre. Hardwoods have different mycorrhizal requirements,
> which have not been assessed as yet.

Desertification does not grow from lack of fungii, but from miss use,
loss of top soil, changing wheather patterns, etc, ad infinitum.
"Perhaps the fastest way to kill.....is clear cut"?  Studies here, or
opinion?  To my knowledge (and it is not of depth of a college proff,
but hey, I try) dead wood lacks the necessary requirments for most
root-rots, i.e., phloem and zylem, functional.

> If you are growing your trees in a greenhouse, fungi-less trees are fine.
> In nature there are not regular watering regimens. Fungi in nature gather
> water and transport it to the trees.

I wont go into plant physiology, but the plant structures necessary for
water uptake come with the rooting structure.  Can fungi help?  Probably
in some circumstance, yes in others.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335