When Will They Get a Clue?!

gates gates at gates.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 14:05:43 EST 1998

In article <APC&1'0'80ab2608'be7 at igc.apc.org>, Karl Davies
<kdavies at igc.apc.org> writes
>WHEN WILL THEY GET A CLUE?!
>
>How bad does it have to get?  What will it take for policy makers
>to realize that climate change is real and that it has real bad
>effects?  When will the timber industry catch on and start to use
>their power to influence policy?  Will it be too late when they
>finally do?

> <Big snip>
>
>Karl Davies, Consulting Forester
>Northampton, MA

I am most appreciative of your contribution to the matter.

Goes against the grain this but I have to say we are actually heading
for an ice age with global warming a natural glitch in this added to by
us, made worse by us before it gets better and - enjoying the writing of
a really long sentence (:-) - subject throughout to Mt. St. Helens, El
Nino & other glitches.  While the only thing that matters to us short
lived humans is the next century or two of warming we have to consider
that some winters will be worse than average over and above occasional
freak weather.  Whole belts, like where wheat will grow, are moving.  My
opinion is that every forest area in the US needs to look at species
changes and early cutting of current timber with a longer gap before
logging the new sorts with an interspersal of coppicing and
specie/purpose specific planting (like for matches or mandolins you can
sell the crop of in advance) within the new tracts of hopefully
broadleaved species.  This all allows closer planting of major stuff to
offset wider planting of the purpose-specific species/coppice.  The
latter should also satisfy greenies as it *can* comprise 1st/2nd growth
environment.  All can be maximised with fungi sales, etc.

Please discuss with your colleagues and by all means revert as it needs
someone in US, specifically areas where the environment is the same, to
decide upon and implement changes and advertise the fact to get others
in other areas thinking.

Incidentally the gulf stream is leaving us so bringing you wetter
winters and us colder ones but this will be a noticeable trend, not an
every year guarantee.  Don't sell your sled yet (:-).

Regards,   Les
Les Ballard         Les at gates.demon.co.uk

c/o BM: Gates of Annwn       (The Pagan contact magazine)
London WC1N 3XX,  U.K.       44+(0)1708 863080

No copyright statement is attached as the author is litigious.