Management of America's Nonfederal Forests

Emil Knutti eknutti at access.mountain.net
Tue Jan 13 08:46:12 EST 1998

Jostnix wrote in message <19980113053100.AAA18058 at ladder02.news.aol.com>...
>In article <34BAE131.176F at livingston.net>, Don Staples
><dstaples at livingston.net> writes:
>
>The really bad part is I know hundreds of the best practicing foresters in
the
>United States.  None review pubs for The Journal.  Where are these experts
>dredged up from?  I, as many foresters, would like to see applied forestry
>leaders making a printed contribution.  Probably never happen.

I am just a lurker so who am I to butt in.  I read this  newsgroup to learn
about what is happening from a public administration or *citizen
involvement* perspective rather than to learn about technical forestry
issues, although some of that has been interesting also.  Here is my two
cents worth on this issue.

Maybe it is time for the practicing foresters to begin their own journal.  I
have become convinced that in order to be involved in this pluralistic
society of ours it is usually necessary to begin a *new* organization rather
than expect the old to change.  Many (most) organizations are narrowly
focused and won't budge.  They do what they do because of the money involved
rather than from a strictly held philosophical perspective.

Sorry for butting in.  BTW, there are a lot of good thinkers in this
newsgroup.  I don't agree with all of them but I still appreciate reading
the thoughts.

Emil Knutti