Does Nature Know Best?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Tue Jan 13 16:23:40 EST 1998

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

> > Benign neglect?  We are talking crops with 50 to 100 year rotation,
>
> We have yet to establish that trees are a crop. No one has cultivated an
> old- growth tree and lived to tell about it.

"We" being fungii promoters?  Most every one in forestry, land
ownership, etc, view timber as a crop.  And it depends on old growth
definitions.  I have 80 year old trees that are old growth in the south,
and you need to remember that what effects, or happens, in your woods
differs in my woods.

>  what
> > would you do, hoe between the rows on a yearly basis?
>
> Actually, yes. This is generally how truffles are collected. The act of
> truffling appears to act as an aeration for soils, much like plowing does
> in fields. Aeration is beneficial to many soil-building organisms, and
> does not + appear+ to damage truffle mycelium. However, other mycorrhizae
> such as Tricholoma magnivelare (matsutake) detest soil disturbance.
>
>   Yellowstone was a
> > product of beleaving Smokey the Bear, under pressure from citizens to
> > not "show all that burnt ground".
>
> An interesting quote. Citation?

Citation? Quote?  My comment, citizens want pristine wilderness, hence
no burning allowed, fuel built up, and a catestrophic fire ensued.  Read
and study, get you head out of your humus.

>   I grow lots of things in my woods
> > that I don't identify, insects, fungus, lizards, reptiles, small mammals
> > (although I do better with the higher evolved animals and plants)and an
> > occaisional suprise plant, long endangered,but hey, my woods got 'em.
> > Quite frankly, mycorrhizal fungi don't interest me, they are there, they
> > do their job, I couldn't get rid of them if I tried, that happens in
> > the sub-tropics.
>
> Actually, it's easy to get rid of mycorrhizal fungi. Clearcut, and don't
> replant trees for a year. Another method is to fertilize with more than
> 80 lbs. of urea per acre. Eliminate the tree's need for mycorrhizal
> fungi, and their quickly disappear. Unless the feeding regimen is
> maintained, the trees usually follow the fungi. :(

HUH?

>   You like them, be my guest, identify away, enjoy, grow
> > 'em, hell, take 'em out to lunch,  we foresters have a few bigger plants
> > to worry about.
> >

> We have yet to establish that there is a crop. Mostly what I see
> foresters/ loggers doing locally is equivalent to strip-mining the soil.
> I'm glad that so many diverse life forms survive near you. But I question
> whether you are growing them. Perhaps they are growing in spite of your
> management.

Incredible statement. Yet to establish that there is a crop. Strip mine
the soil.  I grow the life forms by methods of management, that includes
all types, not just selected fungii.  We have been cropping the timber
for decades, you must remember that this news group reaches consiterably
further than your back yard.  Perhaps the mushrooms are growing in spite
of your writtings.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335