Management of America's Nonfederal Forests

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Tue Jan 13 17:22:12 EST 1998

Jostnix wrote:

> The really bad part is I know hundreds of the best practicing foresters in the
> United States.  None review pubs for The Journal.  Where are these experts
> dredged up from?  I, as many foresters, would like to see applied forestry
> leaders making a printed contribution.  Probably never happen.

In most professions, you have scientists and practitioners.  Scientists will tell
why or how something works, and the practitioners make it work.  Field foresters
are the practitioners of the profession.  The unfortunate problem with no
practitioners sitting on policy boards is that the making it work aspect gets
thrown to the side.  We end up with a bunch of theory with no basis in practical
application.  Policies set on theory have limited success.

RDW