Management of America's Nonfederal Forests

BOBNDWOODS bobndwoods at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 05:06:55 EST 1998

In article <34BBE913.7EE49717 at lebmofo.com>, Ron Wenrich <woodtick at lebmofo.com>
writes:

>In most professions, you have scientists and practitioners.  Scientists will
>tell why or how something works, and the practitioners make it work.  Field
>foresters are the practitioners of the profession.  The unfortunate problem
>with no practitioners sitting on policy boards is that the making it work
>aspect gets thrown to the side.  We end up with a bunch of theory with no
>basis in practical application.  Policies set on theory have limited success.

Well said.  As much as we may snipe at the ivory tower types, they are
important to the profession.  I think our biggest gripe is that they are the
ones making most of the policy.  The combined circumstances that contribute to
this revolting situation may include but are not limited to:

1.  They posess long lists of high and noble sounding credentials which just
exude qualification.

2.  They have work environments which allow, nay, encourage participation in
policy making bodies.

3.  Field foresters are too busy doing field work at the low end of the
monetary food chain.  And, we are far to vulgar to grace the halls of the ivory
towers.  We have mud on our boots, wear flannel shirts without ties, and spit
tobacco juice on the floor.  Don't ya just hate "political correctness"?

Bob Miller
Alabama Registered Forester

~~~> The forest may be quiet, but that doesn't mean all the snakes have left.