US imports vs exports of wood products

Geary N. Searfoss gscpa at cp.duluth.mn.us
Fri Jan 16 17:01:48 EST 1998

Greetings:
I made a post back in December when the thread was about the bill to stop
logging on national forests, that the US imported more wood than it
exported. A couple of folks e-mailed me and asked for my source of
information.

I apologize that I have taken so long to get back, the last month and a
half has been very hectic. I ran across this the other day and thought
I'd throw it on the newsgroup for fodder.

According to the NFRC (Northwest Forest Resource Council), for the year
ended 12/31/96 the US imported 18.2 billion board feet(bbf) of lumber.
For the same year, the US exported only 2.38 bbf of logs and 1.93 bbf of
lumber.

I do not know whether the figures include volumes of wood in finished
products (i.e. furniture), or pulpwood, or newsprint products.

If you're interested in pursuing it further the NFRC's phone # is
503-222-9505 and the material does state that for more information to
give them a call.

Geary Searfoss