When Will They Get a Clue?!

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Fri Jan 16 06:19:44 EST 1998

Karl Davies wrote:

> Concerning ultimate responsibility, I don't buy the argument that
> it's just individuals making individual choices.  I believe that
> if people were honestly informed about the risks involved with
> continued air pollution, they would exercise the precautionary
> principle and make better choices.  However, that option is not
> given to them/us because of the amount of money that corporations
> have at their disposal to control political debate and media
> coverage of important issues.
>
> Karl Davies, Consulting Forester, Environmental Extremist

Trucks have now taken over the car markets in the US.  There are more
trucks, vans, and sports utilities being sold than cars.  Individual
choice leading to group decisions.  Of course, everyone knows that the
gas milage on a truck is less than on a car, but that only applies to
someone else, not the purchaser.  Its not so much  individual choice
as individural mentally leading to the choice.

Corporations cannot survive if they do not produce a product that the
mass wants.  Can you say Beta-Max?  The US consumes 25% of the worlds
energy, but it also produces 22% of the worlds products and services.
(Heard it on PBS so it must be true).  Corporations will use money to
influence government policies (such as tobacco) to their advantage.
But, only to the extent of making a product more attractive to more
consumers.  If the consumer doesn't want it, the policies are
meaningless.

RDW