Prospects and Opportunities for Sustainable Managment of America's Nonfederal Forests

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Fri Jan 16 00:44:04 EST 1998

Hereafter these little notes will be subject lined as:  America's
Nonfederal Forests.  My fingers get tired on the whole title.

The Forested Landscapes in Perspective has proven to be an unexciting
document with
mild conclusions and views that are not unlike the dull glow of an ember
on the fire lane. Will it die of its own volition, or will there be
winds that fan it into a new disaster?

As an overview the document has reams of referenced research, facts,
statistics and
summaries.  The Table of Contents reads as follows:

	Executive Summary:  Nine pages, and some of the more thought provoking
insights into the document.

	Part One:  Sustainability and the Federal Role in Nonfederal Forests.

		Chapter 1:  Investing in Sustainability of Nonfederal Forests.  10
pages
with the Summary of Findings most interesting.

	Part Two:  Nonfederal Forest Resource and Program Landscape.

		Chapter 2:  Resource and Ownership Characteristics:  five or six pages
of the best breakdown of private ownership I have seen.

		Chapter 3:  Forest Values and Benefits.  Eight pages of  forest
economics. This would be a good primer for any college course.

		Chapter 4:  Policies and Programs:  Nine pages of review of existing
Federal and State programs.

	Part Three:  Major Policy and Program Level Issues Across the
Landscape.

		Chapter 5:  Twelve pages of  issues involving forest condition.  A
good
summary of what we have been talking about for the last year, with
numbers and
conclusions.

		Chapter 6:  Investments for Better Institutional Relationships.
Fourteen pages of criticism of current policies, suggestions for the
future, and (to me the one that scares the bejesus out of me)
suggestions on making "private forest regions as a functional program
delivery system for landowners and others within the designated
region".  Regions would be designated by USDA Forest Service's state and
private
forestry unit after sufficient requests have been made.  Big brother is
coming after the
private sector.

		Chapter 7:  Policy and Program Investments:  Fifteen pages reviewing
current initiatives, assistance, incentive and regulatory programs

		Chapter 8:  Investment Levels and Potential Opportunities:  Eighteen
pages of  the economics of private ownership as investments,
inventories, management
and strategies are discussed.

		Chapter 9:  Investing in Research and Technology Transfer.  Four pages
of reasons for more research, and the transfer of that research to the
private landowner.  The report acknowledges that research does not reach
the field, and I think as a group we can testify that it takes for ever
to reach the great unwashed field foresters, that make it happen.  A
glaring note of missed effort is a complete lack of commentary about the
emergence of the computer for sharing the information produced.  They
aren't with us yet, and appear to be stuck on papers, presentations, and
protocols.

		Chapter 10:  Resource-Owner Rights and Responsibilities to Invest:
Eleven pages of just that, a review of laws and incentives for the
non-federal sector.

		Chapter 11:  Investing in Global and International Settings.  Six
pages of the international impact of non-federal land in the
environment, trade, and climate.

The last sixty pages consists of the Appendixes.  These appendixes offer
the most
complete compilations of facts, figures and references I have ever seen
in one document.
It alone makes the document a must have for the forest manager,
corporate mogul, and
the environmentally enhanced (ecofreaks).  There are a dozen pages of
references of the
most recent publications covering every aspect of environmental
management.  Enough
to keep you broke from purchases, and the book shelves groaning under
the weight.

In conclusion of this segment,  GET THIS DOCUMENT!

--
Don Staples