When Will They Get a Clue?!

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Sat Jan 17 00:01:25 EST 1998

In article <34BF4250.402602E6 at lebmofo.com>,
  Ron Wenrich <woodtick at lebmofo.com> wrote:

> Karl Davies wrote:
>
> > Concerning ultimate responsibility, I don't buy the argument that
> > it's just individuals making individual choices.  I believe that
> > if people were honestly informed about the risks involved with
> > continued air pollution, they would exercise the precautionary
> > principle and make better choices.  However, that option is not
> > given to them/us because of the amount of money that corporations
> > have at their disposal to control political debate and media
> > coverage of important issues.
> >
> > Karl Davies, Consulting Forester, Environmental Extremist
>
> Trucks have now taken over the car markets in the US.  There are more
> trucks, vans, and sports utilities being sold than cars.  Individual
> choice leading to group decisions.  Of course, everyone knows that the
> gas milage on a truck is less than on a car, but that only applies to
> someone else, not the purchaser.  Its not so much  individual choice
> as individural mentally leading to the choice.
>
> Corporations cannot survive if they do not produce a product that the
> mass wants.  Can you say Beta-Max?  The US consumes 25% of the worlds
> energy, but it also produces 22% of the worlds products and services.
> (Heard it on PBS so it must be true).  Corporations will use money to
> influence government policies (such as tobacco) to their advantage.
> But, only to the extent of making a product more attractive to more
> consumers.  If the consumer doesn't want it, the policies are
> meaningless.
>
> RDW

Personally I like growing trees. (And sometimes other things...)

I think what is bad for us may actually be good for trees. People at OSU
have noted that trees grown in higher CO2 environments tend to grow more
rapidly.

I'm actually more concerned with overall CO2 levels. Since naturally
occurring fires need a certain ratio of O2 to burn, and the CO2 levels
are increasing, it may not be too long before forest fires will be a
thing of the past...along with BBQ's, campfires, and my pellet stove.

I guess maybe some folks are beginning to figure out that the vast oil
and coal deposits which have been burnt for the past 150 years may
eventually have an impact on the environment.

Speaking of which, how did these deposits form anyway? Wouldn't the
massive coal beds found over the world have to have been deposited in a
fire-less environment?

Daniel B. Wheeler