Underwater Logging (was Ice storm...)

Ross dianaros at vianet.on.ca
Mon Jan 19 21:10:41 EST 1998

In Ontario and Quebec, log salvage on a small scale is not new. The impetus
is $ return on salvage operation.

Many logs are left on landings (and for older operations in the water)
because the recovery cost is more than can be gained by delivery to mill
yard.

I have 12,500 (more or less) Red Pine on the stump that no one is willing to
cut and haul. The consequence is spindly growth and uneven growth patterns.
The result is a forest  that is not friendly to animal or fowl and poor
growth threatens the forest as well.

<19980119190600.OAA02012 at ladder01.news.aol.com>...