Hedge apple tree?

Timothy Hunley HUN60 at webtv.net
Tue Jan 20 01:25:47 EST 1998

Osage Orange grows well in Northeastern Ohio though not planted much any
more that I am aware of.  Observed most in Central Kansas as windbreak
plantings.  Grows the biggest and fattest Fox squrrels I've ever seen.
Wood was also used years ago for making archery equipment (bows).

In the '30s, The US Gov. promoted planting this tree as living fences.
I have come accross remnants of these living fences in established woods
today--some 60 feet in height , 3 foot apart--defy you to squeeze
through this fence.
The fruit is gaining popularity here to place around the basement to
expell spiders--it works.

Usually propagated vegitatively--There are web sites on this.

My 1 & 1/2 cents worth
Tim Hunley