Underwater Logging (was Ice storm...)

hartw at interserf.net hartw at interserf.net
Mon Jan 19 20:12:38 EST 1998

About 2,000 years a catastrophe on the East Coast leveled a huge
forest of Atlantic White Cedar in eastern North Carolina.  About 30
years ago the farmers began to have problems with the logs in their
fields as the plows began to reach them.  A project began in 1971 at
NC State to retrieve the logs for lumber.  I graduated before it came
to fruition.  A test sample of logs was recovered and paneling for the
wood lab office was made from the cedar.  The aroma was excellent and
the wood beautiful.

Wayne Hart