fwd: Rick Bass on logging roads

robert1 at REMOVE_THIS.primenet.com robert1 at REMOVE_THIS.primenet.com
Tue Jan 20 20:19:01 EST 1998

hartw at interserf.net wrote:

>All forest lands are managed.  Natural management (ie. Yellowstone)
>has consequences as does man made management.  Mud slides and natural
>erosion silts in and chokes waterways.  Forests full of deadfalls make
>excellent tinder to spark forest fires clearcutting thousands of
>acres.  Man only mimicks nature while gleaning benefits...including
>opening inaccessible areas to recreation.  The idea of unspoiled
>wilderness being an idealic fairyland is just the jaundiced view of a
>few.  After all, if you have seen it, it is not unspoiled!

Nowhere in the post did I see any reference to people not being able
to enter the wilderness area and enjoy it.  It'd be a shame if you
chose to sit outside and pout just because you couldn't use you car.
If by car is the only way you can travel, there are many places for
that to be done, but precious few where it's not possible.

Robert