Logging Rally

eric.hansen at lawson.com eric.hansen at lawson.com
Thu Jan 22 09:01:40 EST 1998

In article <+J1UBBA++Qx0EwmM at thopkins.demon.co.uk>,
  theo hopkins <thopkins at thopkins.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <885096182.397737999 at dejanews.com>, mcready at northernnet.com
> writes
> >Just returned from the logging rally in Orr, MN.  Close to a thousand
> >people attended the noon rally at the Orr Community Center.
>
> snip snip
> >If all these EarthFirsters! want to see an unmanaged forest, all they
> >have to do is go into the Boundary Waters.  There you have dead, diseased
> >trees just waitng for a lightning strike.  The only healthy forests we
> >have are those that are managed by our foresters and loggers.
>
> Sorry there, but EF! are not the only folk that want to retain dead and
> diseased trees. The retention of snags, dead fallen timber and many
> diseased trees is a standard requirement from government in the latest
> forestry regulations in, at least, the United Kingdom, Sweden and
> Finland. Sweden and Finland are 'forestry dependent' countries in the
> way that the USA has never been.
> Theo Hopkins, Lower Champles Wood, England.
>
> To many fungi a rotten tree is the first time it has seen lunch for 200 years.
So that means that the environmentalists and the logging and forestry industry
understand each other and even (gasp!!) get along with each other???...
tolerate, maybe???  If these countries are so forestry dependant, then their
forests must be well "managed" by the foresters and loggers.

The logging contract on the area called "Little Alfie", which has old
growth trees on it, should be allowed.	The area will not be clear cut
(which I think many enviro's are afraid of), it will be thinned using
good logging management practices.  Forestry is a part of the industry in
Northern Minnesota and is a part of Minnesota's economy.  (Little Alfie
is near Orr, Minnesota in an area similar to much of the BWCAW>) Eric