New 'Discussion Leader' for bionet.agroforestry

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Jan 22 10:59:39 EST 1998

Gerry, as one of the new comers, and probably one that has been guilty
of leading this group away from agroforestry (still think it is one and
the same) I would extend my congratulations on a successful news group.
Very little "sex, violence and rock and roll" have appeared on this
group.  If your efforts have contained and controlled this, good job.  I
dont want the job, just to congratulate your successful effort.

Gerry Lawson wrote:

> To Members of bionet.agroforestry (crossposted to agroforestry maillists)
>
> Many of you will know that, at infrequent intervals since this newsgroup started in 1989 I've tried to steer it more towards agroforestry.  However
> newsgroups seem to have a  life of their own, and this one is obviously filling a different need.  I (and others in the UK with whom I've discussed
> this) now feel that bionet.agroforestry really belongs now to those that are using it rather than those who set it up.  Hence I'm looking for
> suggestions for someone to take over the  almost non existent duties of  'discussion leader' for this group.
>
> I't would be good for the new 'leader' to co-ordinate a FAQ redefining the newsgroup's sphere of interest and mentioning collations of forestry
> websites  (e.g. http://www.metla.fi/info/vlib/Forestry/),  and agroforestry maillists  (e.g. the UK Agroforestry Forum at www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists
> /agroforestry/, or the American Federation of Temperate Agroforesters at afta at lists.missouri.edu (send message to listproc at lists.missouri.edu saying
> 'subscribe AFTA <your name>').
>
> Any volunteers?
>
> Thanks, Gerry Lawson
> G.Lawson at ite.ac.uk Institute of Terrestrial Ecology
> ITE Tropical Forestry Section Bush Estate
> Tel: +44-131-445-4343 Edinburgh EH26 OQB
> Fax: +44-131-445-3943 Scotland, UK
> Web: www.nmw.ac.uk/ite/edin/agro.html

Don Staples
UIN 4653335