Why does ash wood burn well 'green or dry'?

theo hopkins thopkins at thopkins.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 12:49:50 EST 1998

In article <6a8jh9$lks$1 at newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
TREEFARMER at webtv.net writes

snip
>Maybe somebody can answer this and give some references: Is it better to
>split 24" length bolts lengthwise or cut crosswise to dry?

Sorry, I'm English: what's a '24" bolt'? I think I know, but I just want
to make certain.

If you cut 'crosswise to dry', what lengths would you normally cut to in
N.America?

In eastern Europe, well, Estonia and Poland, I notice that wood is
usually cleft into 4's or 8's to about 750 mm (say 2' 6") and used at
that size. As wood is a primary fuel source rather than a 'option' for
many Poles and Estonians, I guess that tradition has found that cleft
750 mm to be 'best'.
Theo