Too wet for logging?

ForestFair forestfair at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 22:31:24 EST 1998

Mike,

   You're right -- your consultant's responsibility is to protect his client
(you) and his client's property.   The other side of the picture is that the
consultants don't want to antagonize the loggers, because they depend upon
loggers to bid at future sales.  They also know that the logger's job is a
difficult and dangerous one, and a day when he's not in the woods is probably a
day without income.

   So it's a balancing act, and that's one reason for a well-written contract
stating that the owner or his agent can halt logging if unreasonable damage
will result, spells out what has to be done after the harvest as far as
restoration, and that the consultant will hold a bond from the logger (usually
10% of the sale price where I am) which is returned to the logger only after
the contract conditions are met.

   Our current timber harvest, which we scheduled for winter thinking that the
ground would be frozen and protected by snow, was halted about 2 weeks ago
because the massive ice storm in the northeast fell as rain on our woodlot.  In
our case, the *loggers* called our consultant, and told him that they were
going to pull out until things became firm again, and I think the stipulations
in our contract probably played a part in their decision.

     If your consultant doesn't know if excessive damage is occurring, the
people at the NRCS (or whatever the Soil and Water Conservation people are
called now) ought to be able to give you some tips based on your soil type ...
or if there's a backhoe or bulldozer operator in your area that does good work,
you could ask them.
Ideally, you shouldn't have to do this, as it's really the consultant's job.

ForestFair